OK, so I’m very much into a good beauty hack. I adore multifunctional items— you know, a good beauty product mixup. For example, I’ve been known to use a playing card as a stencil for winged eyeliner. I use a bar of clear soap as brow pomade (that’s a story for another time). And I’ll go to my grave professing that hair conditioner makes the best shaving cream, for soft silky legs. But I have a hair hack that takes the cake. It’s my most favorite trick. And here it is…
A toothbrush is a great way to exfoliate your lips, a killer method for creating bushy, full brows—but mostly it’s my FAVORITE thing for hairstyling. And here’s why.
1. Toothbrushes are cheap. As in under $10 cheap. And you can get them anywhere from the dollar store, to your local drugstore, to your favorite superstore (Hey, Target!). This means you can run to the store, and for a few dollars, totally fix a bad hair day you’re struggling your way through.
2. It brushes those little baby hairline bangs back. So your forehead is fuzz free. I take my favorite hairspray, lightly coat the toothbrush, then comb those babies back. Also, flyaways. You know about those suckers, yeah? If you’re wearing your hair down, you know flyaways and static can be the bane of your hairstyle. Use the same tooth brush and hairspray trick to brush down any flyways throughout your style.
3. Have you ever really been digging the tan, glowy vibe your bronzer gives you, and so you decide to just go with it and add more. And then it’s only later that you realize your hairline is just a little caked with bronzer/foundation/highlighter/etc. A toothbrush is your BFF for this kind of sticky situation. I simply take a clean toothbrush, dampen it with water, then comb it through my hairline. And it buffs it right out! Ladies, DON’T ROCK A MAKEUP-Y HAIRLINE. I see it all the time. It happens to the best of us. No shame. But fix it. With a toothbrush.
4. Are you like me and love to rock a slicked back high ponytail, top knot, or low bun? But you also can’t figure out how to make it look like one of J.Lo’s or Bella’s quintessential styles? A toothbrush is the answer, girls. After you’ve fasted your hair up, all you do is apply a dab of good gel or pomade to your toothbrush and brush you hair with the grain of your style. The toothbrush + pomade combo will slick down EVERY single hair, while also giving you that smooth, glossy look we’re going for.
5. I’m not one for pageant hair. Volume isn’t usually my main objective— but limp hair is the worst, yeah? We can agree on this, I think. A dry toothbrush is the best tool for a little backcombing action. If you’re working up some volume and channeling your inner Brigitte Bardot, a toothbrush is better than a comb, a brush, even a backcombing specific brush— it’s teasing ability is unrivaled.
I should note, I have multiple toothbrushes and I do not use my teeth-cleaning toothbrush for other beauty purposes. That may seem obvious, but I had to mention it. Keep your actual toothbrush clean. I should also mention that because I love toothbrushes for other parts of my beauty routine so much, I keep them everywhere! In my purse, in my car, in my office drawer. This trick is just that good.
Also, any toothbrush will do the trick, but I favor bamboo brushes, like these.
Try the toothbrush trick. Just do it. You’ll wonder where it’s been your entire life.